Thursday, February 01, 2007

Faces of Change


As promised, I wanted to share more about how we're giving back to the community through our project called The Portrait House. In a mission to raise money and awareness for poverty housing, we are collaborating with photographers across the country in order to build a house for a family in need through Habitat for Humanity. The photographers involved with the project will be donating their services for portrait sessions, and in return a minimum donation of $100 will be made to Habitat. We want to photograph families, couples, children, babies, and even our furry friends! These are the faces of change! Our goal is to raise $50,000 by this time next year. So where did we get the idea...

We all know what a terrible tragedy the Gulf coast hurricanes were; but, I have to admit I had no real appreciation of the devastation, sitting in the comfort of my apt and flippin' past the news channels, until I came face to face with a family who had lost everything. The Rogers family came to us straight from N'awlins and would teach us much in the short time we were blessed to know them, not the least of which was a spicy cajun shrimp recipe that could set your lips on fire!! We were lucky enough to get to know this incredible family because of the amazing generosity of a family in our church. The Bloss family opened their home and, ultimately, their hearts, as the two families forged what is sure to be a lifetime friendship. I was so blessed to get to photograph them together days before the Rogers returned to New Orleans (their portraits are featured at the beginning of the video below). The experience sparked an idea that has turned into the dream that is "The Portrait House."

Our community is filled with incredible talent, and more importantly, incredible people. Mary and I continue to be blown away by the generosity and overall goodness in people we meet everyday. I love this quote by Erma Bombeck: "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, I used everything that you gave me." These are the kind of people we've been lucky enough to meet, and this little project of ours would be nothing without them.

Habitat's mission continues, and so does ours.
To get involved, email justin@theportraithouse.org.

No comments: